Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Day Four

Two questions have been ricocheting through the thin air in my skull today; the first is, when I’m reincarnated will I be a lawyer? The second is, who installed the original plumbing at The White House? Even in 100-degree heat when the swede tends to over-heat a little these are fair questions.

I met the HVAC man at the property this morning and reinterpreting his serious head shaking, sighs and “what on earth is this?” as we walked around the house attempting to follow the piping, I’ve made the very accurate conclusion that the plumbing was installed by a schoolboy whose girlfriend had ditched him the night before and had nothing better to do on a lazy Sunday.

The HVAC man wasn’t even there to look at the plumbing – the sheer marvelousness of its design just seemed to interest him.

Anyway, we are going for a Two-Stage, 16 SEER system with 10 registers. Beautiful. I have no idea what it is but I’m spellbound by the terminology. You simply have to buy something that you can tell people is 16 SEER and 10 registers – “Oh, you don’t have 16 SEER?”

 After all of that excitement I drove to Claymont, Delaware. Graham Greene can do wonderful things with language describing a location, a place. Claymont would defeat him. Tarmac and strip malls. That’s it.

I was there to talk windows with the window man at Home Depot. Why are windows so complicated? The window man was great but what was left of the thin air in my head was starting to become dangerously vacuum-like. Standard fit versus custom made, steel, wood, Argon, rain resistant glass (there is, really, such a thing) – but we got there, sort of.  Steel and wood windows are 3 times as expensive as vinyl. Vinyl windows take less than two weeks to construct; steel and wood take 4 to 6 weeks.

And we will be installing….

The photo below was taken by one of Emily’s students in Tallinn during their group visit to Estonia earlier this year. To me it’s a very simple and beautiful building that hasn’t been destroyed by vinyl siding and other formaldehyde products.

No comments:

Post a Comment