Thursday, October 14, 2010

Day Forty Eight

Frankly, not much has happened for the last few days. The weather is appalling and a couple of things are waiting on decisions before we install the windows, walls and doors.

Emily arrived back from London last night and we drove over to the property late this afternoon. Even as we got soaked in the downpour her first reaction was to laugh at the sheer bareness of the wooden skeleton - it took me a minute to realise that the last time she saw the building the renovation had not even started.

I asked Tom today whether we should invest in some sort of covering for the next four or five days to protect the wood and bare foundation from the water - what do I know, it was only a thought - no, was the reply, everything is fine - yes, there are small sections of the foundation that need to be replaced, but aside from that the structure is fine. But it's raining rather heavily I said (it's the continuous intensity that is so strange to me), but Tom said don't worry. So I'll try not to. Well, not that much; at least relative to last month.

When the idea of the cathedral ceiling was first discussed I failed miserably many times at explaining to Emily over Skpye how the finished article would look (my pencil sketches are really that bad). But today, when she walked around and saw the fantastic ceiling lines and exposed beams, and the unique shape we could create, we started to think again about the difference the high, light filled space could make to the environment.

I've no idea what what my dad would say, but I'm pretty sure he's laughing.

No comments:

Post a Comment