Monday, September 13, 2010

Day Seventeen

It's rather likely that if I write another word about 'windows' the two people who actually read these ramblings will stop instantly. So, without using that word I will limit my excitement to saying - I drove down to Delaware and ordered them this morning. After all of the ping-ponging between suppliers, the fact that Home Depot offered a 25% discount, and Delaware has no sales tax (what a wonderful State), the saga of the w******s came to a relatively quiet conclusion - aside of course from constantly worrying for the next four weeks about whether I ordered correctly.

The entire internal structure of the building is now bare; the struts of the roof are visible and the space beneath the roof is fascinating - irregular angles meeting in the middle of the room - which means the imagination starts to think "what-could-be?"

When Tom and I met at the building earlier this evening, and while we were having a three-way conversation with Emily in London, the idea of opening the entire reception area upwards, to create a cathedral ceiling, hit all of us as being a way to make a simple cottage into something special. Tom is working out the implications of this new idea - my w******s suddenly seem simple.

The central chimney comes down tomorrow. If the poor little place is still standing after that incredible act of confined demolition it's a tougher building than I ever imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment